Visit Compton Acres from Marsham Court Hotel
June 13, 2023IN BLOG POSTS BY MARSHAM COURT HOTEL
The Bournemouth, Poole, and Christchurch area has such a wide range of places to visit that you’ll be wanting to come back for all the things you had no time for. One of the more spectacular attractions, though, is the grade 2 listed Compton Acres, a series of breathtaking gardens.
And, like all the attractions in the area, you can reach it easily from Marsham Court Hotel, a friendly 4-star Bournemouth family hotel on the seafront.
The Gardens at Compton Acres
Although Compton Acres has plenty else on offer, it’s the five gardens, created in 1920 by industrialist Thomas Simpson, that make it unmissable. They are:
- The Italian Garden — Featuring clipped yews and clematis sitting among marble structures, classical statues and pools and overlooked by the Italian Villa, the Italian Garden has an imposing grandeur.
- The Japanese Garden — Japanese garden design is like nothing else, and this features various native Japanese plants, such as Japanese wisteria and Kurume Hybrid azaleas, with a pool featuring large Koi carp and a Tea House overlooking it.
- The Heather Garden — This provides year-round colour from numerous species of heather planted around rocky outcroppings, as well as a collection of Southern Hemisphere plants.
- The Rock & Water Garden — An Arts and Crafts type of landscape provides a semi-wild garden where a range of plants surround the rocks and water features, with spectacular views from the many bridges.
- The Wooded Valley — This area of managed woodland features mature Scot’s pines sheltering many other trees and shrubs. Paths wind by pools and waterfalls, and there’s a play area for the children to enjoy themselves.
What Else Can You Do at Compton Acres?
It’s the gardens that draw people to Compton Acres, but there’s plenty more to do while you’re there. If you’re inspired to make your own garden look more like these, for instance, you might want to visit the Plant Centre and buy some of the species you’ve seen in the grounds.
Like most sites you visit, of course, it has a gift shop selling jewellery, toys, books and local wine, along with much more. And there’s a choice of where to eat, with a café selling light meals and snacks, afternoon tea at the Bakery, and even a pizzeria — perhaps for if you feel inspired by the Italian Garden.
Visiting Compton Acres from Marsham Court Hotel
You’ll need somewhere to stay while visiting Compton Acres and all the other attractions the area has to offer. You couldn’t do better than Marsham Court Hotel, which will give you easy access to anywhere in the Bournemouth, Poole and Christchurch areas.
Compton Acres is no exception. It’s only a short journey either by car or bus, while if you want to keep fit and take in the stunning views of Bournemouth Bay, you can walk along the seafront in about an hour.
Marsham Court is a friendly family hotel, which you’ll look forward to coming back to at the end of the day. It has accessible rooms and award-winning accessible facilities through the hotel, if any of your group needs them. And, if your idea of a great holiday includes your canine family members, we welcome well-behaved dogs.
Get in touch with us find out more about staying at Marsham Court Hotel for your visit to Compton Acres and much, much more.