Russell Cotes Art Gallery and Museum in Bournemouth, Dorset
Located in Bournemouth, Dorset, Russell-Cotes Art Gallery & Museum is one of the most important and fascinating museum-houses in England. This MLA (Museum, Libraries, and Archives) accredited museum features collections of international status and reflects the Victorian fascination with world cultures. While touring the museum, enjoy food and drink at the museum café or relax in the museum garden with a freshly prepared picnic lunch by Café at the Russell-Cotes.
10am – 5pm – Tuesday to Sunday and Bank Holiday Monday (Closed Christmas and Good Friday)
- Adult & Senior Citizen : £5
- Child (5 -16years) : £4
- Child under 5 : Free
- Family : £15
- In Our Own Words: A Soldiers’ Thoughts from Afghanistan
- Poole Printmakers
- 50/50: Mussi & Harris
- Guided Tours of the House
- Guided Tours of the Paintings
- Gallery Exhibits
- Museum Tours
- Private Events
Information on Exhibits
Check out astonishing exhibits scheduled for the Russell-Cotes Art Gallery & Museum, including
In Our Own Words. Soldiers’ Thoughts from Afghanistan 4 October 2012 – 10 March 2013
This exhibit features contemporary war artist, Derek Eland’s powerful and emotive installation which captures the intimate thoughts and feelings of soldiers serving in Afghanistan.
Poole Printmakers 6 November 2012 – 27 January 2013
This is a selling exhibition of prints from members of Poole Printmakers.
50/50: Mussi & Harris 29 March – 1 October 2013
Works from Cleo Mussi and Matthew Harris that highlight artwork of whole images constructed from pieces and fragments of cloth, paper and reclaimed ceramic. This selling exhibition features work inspired by their recent trip to Japan.
Children activities at the Gallery
Russell-Cotes Art Gallery & Museum features a great interactive way to explore the Museum and its collections. Armed with themed Explorer Travel Bags of activities, objects and instructions, young people take on the role of an explorer and find and identify objects around the museum on one of the museum House Trails. The museum runs various special events and activities for children during most school holidays.
What are the seasonal admission charges?
Seasonal admission charges apply from Sunday 1 April – Sunday 30 September:
- Adult & Senior Citizen – £5
- Child (5 -16years) – £4
- Child under 5 – Free
- Family – £15
- Pre-booked group, per person – £4
- Concession for Means Tested Benefits – £4
- Accompanying Carer – Free
- Member – Free
What sorts of exhibits and guided tours are currently going on?
Current exhibits showing at Russell-Cotes Art Gallery & Museum include
- Glass Selling Show: Emsie Sharp & Jo Stephen – Local glass makers showcasing their gorgeous hand-blown pieces in our conservatory.
- Dashwood: Father and Son – The exhibition features the exquisite work of Geoffrey Dashwood, the world-renowned bird sculptor and of his son, photographer Leo Dashwood, whose stunning works specialise in the human form.
- The Fastest Creature on Earth – A monumental bronze peregrine falcon Standing over 3.5m tall and weighing over 1.6 tonnes by world-renowned sculptor, Geoffrey Dashwood
Discover more about the history of the Russell-Cotes family and their collections through the regular series of talks and guided tours offered on Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays.